Thursday 10 March 2011

To Buy Organic...

Buying organic is something I wish I could do more often, but in reality, buying organic is often something that isn't in my budget because we are one income and have a larger family with teenage boys!  However, when the price difference is affordable I will choose organic.  But this list here makes the decision making easier.  I want my kids eating healthy fruit & veggies and I want to store as many healthy foods as possible.  I think I found the list on a local facebook page called Buy Local NB.  To Buy Organic (the numbers to the side show the percentage of washed fruit that still contains pesticides):
  1. Nectarines – 97.3%
  2. Celery – 94.5%
  3. Pears – 94.4%
  4. Peaches – 93.7%
  5. Apples – 91%
  6. Cherries – 91%
  7. Strawberries – 90%
  8. Imported Grapes – 86%
  9. Spinach – 83.4%
  10. Potatoes – 79.3%
Probably Okay to Buy Conventional:
  1. Asparagus
  2. Avocados
  3. Bananas
  4. Broccoli
  5. Cauliflower
  6. Kiwi
  7. Mangoes
  8. Onions
  9. Papaya
  10. Sweet Peas
Notice that most of the ones that are not so scary to eat conventional are those with tough skins. So, that's probably a good rule of thumb, if it's protected by inedible skin, save the money and buy conventional. Then spend your savings on good organic raspberries!

No comments:

Post a Comment