Monday 21 March 2011

Preparing your family...

Over the weekend I had my brother and sister in-law visit.  I adore my sil and I have talked to her before about having a pantry.  She did try to start one, but didn't really take it seriously.  She put in some effort during the H1N1 pandemic but when that fizzled out so did her efforts.

Like everyone else, they see what is going on around the world!  They can see prices going up and packages shrinking in size.  From our discussion I decided to show her my pantry.  At best, I have three months set aside for eight people, though if need be I could definitely stretch it out longer...I hope!  She thought I had a year!  She was shocked at what I am storing and I think it took her back a bit.  She immediately said I have to do this!  She had tons of questions and hopefully this is the beginning.

However, what surprised me most was my brother's reaction.  He was angry!  He felt that there was no way they could prepare and why bother because you waste it, they can't afford it, or you can't plan for everything so why bother.  His reaction surprised me because my brother is in the military!  Go figure!  They also just came home from a nice vacation, which they deserved...but honestly, if I could choose between an expensive vacation or buying enough food for a year...I would choose food!  My husband wouldn't agree...but I have a feeling in the short term he will change his mind as prices rise and things around the world get crazier!

No comments:

Post a Comment