Sunday 27 February 2011

Discouraged

I receive email updates from some blogs in regards to prepping, homesteading, etc.  This morning I open one from Rudy Kearney asking for readers to check out his new food calculator.  What makes this one different is that you just put in how many members you have in your family and it will give you exact numbers of what you need in each category.

It is very similar to the LDS calculator but this one was more clear cut and when I looked at the numbers.  I realized how woefully unprepared I am.  I am trying to prep on such a limited budget.  My husband is on board but only to a point.  If he knew that a hand grinder was on my wish list he'd say no!  He thinks buying wheat berries is crazy when flour is good enough. 

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I should be focusing more on the here and now.   For whatever reason, flour is cheaper than wheat berries.  Maybe a goal of flour for six months would be a more attainable goal than wheat berries for six months.  Obviously, my goal is a year and longer.  But as of late, I feel like time is running out and I'll be lucky to have 3 months set aside! 

Suddenly I feel woefully inadequate at trying to set aside for inflation and food shortages.  I feel burdened knowing that my parents who live nearby refuse to store anything and will become my responsibility.  My siblings mock my efforts and my Christian friends will say they have their trust in God!  However, I know they would come calling if things get tough.  Obviously, I would share what I have but I would feel resentful!

Maybe my strategy is wrong.  I buy items on sale but not as many as I should be. Our finances are so tight and the reality is I need to get a job.  I am a stay at home mamma, but my kids are older now and I need to get another part-time job.  When I have worked part-time, I noticed that my baking tapered off, we ate out more and overall the house was not cared for.  However, I could prep more and I think that is the priority for right now.  I worry for my youngest who is only 8 years old who won't get my time and attention...but by writing my thoughts out I realize it is the only way to adequately get ahead of the pending inflation.

Maybe I should be focusing on one thing at a time when it is on sale and buying all that I can afford for that pay week.  I really need to figure this out!  Just wish I had someone to lament my worries and concerns with!

2 comments:

  1. Deep breath. Now take another.

    It's hard when you don't have the full support of your husband, but as long as he's not working against you, I'm sure you can manage.

    Buy flour before it goes up in price again, and stop fretting. The price of wheat berries baffles me, too. We just bought 100 kg of white flour - cost us about $60 and now I don't need to worry about flour for the rest of the year. I can buy white flour for $0.60/kg, or I can buy an expensive grain mill and THEN buy whole wheat berries for $1.25/kg that I have to grind myself. I'm too poor to pay that much.

    Do what you CAN. Stop comparing yourself to people who have thirty years of freeze-dried butter and eggs in their basements. You're doing better than 99% of the population.

    I don't think I've ever seen you comment over at Canadian Doomer. I'd love to hear from you, and it's a great group of people for feedback and ideas. If you read through my older posts, you'll probably find some ideas on saving money and simplifying. You can email me if you want to lament and bounce ideas.

    By the way, we, too, have friends who insist that they're not worried because "We'll be raptured before it gets truly bad." Ok - I think I'd rather have Plan B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! I love your blog! I have read quite a bit of your blog...I tend to be a lurker, flitting in and out as I have a minute.

    I needed to start this blog because I needed to see for myself how far I've come and not just be focused on what I have still to do!

    Today my husband told me we will build some raised beds and topsoil for this spring! That is such a big deal because money is sooo tight!

    I'll definitely post next time!

    ReplyDelete