Sunday 3 April 2011

Water!

My water storage isn't fancy.  When I started out prepping, I did buy water and ultimately poured it down the drain (or in my garden) when it had expired.  I have delicious well water and I realized that buying water isn't in my budget and goes against my more frugal side.  So, for our drinking water storage, I wash out 2 litre pop bottles or the heavy duty juice bottles and fill them with tap water and add a scant 1/8 teaspoon of bleach.  I date the cap and store the water in my basement but never on the concrete floor as it can leach into the plastic bottles.
The drinking water is good for a year and I simply repeat the process with my bottles each year and continually add to my supply with any pop that comes into the house on weekends.  Though, I have to confess, I am behind in my rotation.  Worst case, I would boil it on the woodstove before drinking.  I recently discovered some water dated from 2007, so I need to be more diligent!

I also make a point to keep my water storing supplies together.  I store my bleach in a reused ketchup bottle so that controlling the measurement is easier.  I use the same measuring spoon stored with the bleach and I throw my pop lids into the dishwasher and then they are also stored with my supplies till I'm ready.  I also make sure I rinse out the pop bottles immediately and store them upside down in a closet till I need them.  I ususally do six bottles at once...dunno why, maybe because I can carry them all together to the basement at once!  But, figuring out a system made a difference in fighting the lazy factor of saying to yourself you'll do it later.

I also keep in my bob bags for the vehicles water purifying tablets along with bottled water which is store bought.  Usually Shoppers Drug Mart puts a case of water on for $1.49 plus deposit every so often.  It is easy to keep it in the van. 

For every bottle of laundry soap or bleach that I empty, I fill it with water and this will be used for dishes or flushing toilets should their be no power.  We are on a well, so this is very important!  I would love to rig out our well with a hand pump but that is beyond my abilities and budget and I haven't convinced my husband on the importance of this...in time I hope!

I hope to buy a water barrel this year for our drain pipes.  We live in an older home and hope to do repairs which also includes the rain gutters.  Ours are pretty nasty, leak all over and desperately need replacing.  So, with new rain gutters I hope to also have a nice rain barrel to catch the water for our garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment