Saturday 2 April 2011

Rice


So, I finally bought myself some mylar bags and oxygen absorbers for my longterm food storage.  So, into my bins I went to take out my rice to store properly in these bags.  I really try to be diligent about rotating.  Especially because I have a family of six and up until recently couldn't afford or justify the expense of getting mylar.  So, I was very disappointed to discover two large bags of parboiled rice that I have had for at least three years now.  I know because I called Superstore customer service and they verified the date via the upc code. 

The smell isn't to bad, but it definitely smells different from the bag that my husband bought recently.  I have since learned that parboiled rice does go rancid, so I figure I may have to compost it which kills me!  But at the same time, I have no desire to make anyone in the house sick!  I'm hoping to find out that it is actually still good...Help!


I bought my mylar bags from Basic Life Eessentials a local company that I really want to support!  Excellent service and bags are beautiful and strong!


These are my oxygen absorbers that I ordered through LDS in the USA.  They ship for free to CANADA!!!!  WOW!

This is a jar that I foodsaved and another bag of basmati rice done in my foodsaver bags.  I love the mason jar method, but it can be hit and miss for the seal to hold.  Doesn't fill me with confidence, but I do like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment