Thursday 7 April 2011

Let's Talk Potatoes!

In this house potatoes rule!  Yes, we eat rice and pasta but potatoes are king around here!  I have always been a snob about "fake" potatoes.  I would never have dreamed of serving them to my family.  I have faded memories of the few times my mother served them and they were a disgusting pasty memory.

That is until last summer when I discovered through Costco a brand of dehydrated potatoes called Harvest Earth Creamy Mash potatoes that sells for the new 2011 price of $10.50 versus the $9 price I paid summer 2010. Costco had them to sample and I was blown away by the fact that they tasted like potatoes!  The ingredient list is small, potatoes, sea salt and dried milk, so they actually are potatoes!

Each box has 18 packets that in a pinch will serve 6 but with my large family I usually make two packets.  We always have left overs and I will use the leftovers to make potato bread.  If your Irish, you know what I'm talking about!  I also sprinkle in some garlic powder but that is a preference of mine, but just as delicious without.

So, on my last trek to Costco I bought another box and food sealed two packages together to extend the shelf life.  Give them a try, it is a good value and perfect for food storage, camping and when your rushed for time during supper hour.

1 comment:

  1. I'll take a look and see if my Costco has that brand of instant potatoes. Our family mostly eats potatoes as well. I've put your blog on my favourites list, always great to find another canadian woman prepper :-)

    ReplyDelete